ScotRail’s business change programme is informed by a simple customer insight - people like companies and brands that are trying to make their lives better, by having a clear purpose and vision and demonstrating these in their actions.
Therefore, over the next 2-3 years, ScotRail is investing £475m in improving Scotland’s rail network. This will manifest itself in new electric 385 trains, a new Inter City service, improved timetabling and upgraded station facilities.
And will be communicated to customers through a new, appropriately confident, positioning for ScotRail.
This investment will mean a better experience for existing passengers, provide new and compelling reasons for prospects to trial rail travel, and also make staff feel proud to work for the nation’s railway, a modern, progressive 21st century brand.
Alistair Buckle, Head of Sales & Marketing
To deliver ScotRail's business transformation programme, we are changing our Sales & Marketing team structure to be more “customer focussed”.
This means moving from a generalist to a specialist model, setting up centres of excellence in both “Marketing Planning, Insight and Product Management” and “Digital, Data and Ecommerce”.
We are looking for world class marketers who want to test themselves in a tough trading environment, who are not scared of uncertainty or change, and, above all, are up for the challenge of turning a traditional business into “the best railway Scotland has ever had”.
OPPORTUNITIES AT SCOTRAIL
Marketing Communications Manager
Entering an exciting period of transformation- ScotRail now offers a fantastic opportunity to join their Commercial team in a new role. You will lead the Marketing Communications team, Scotrail’s new in-house digital and data hub, designed to create a centre of excellence within the business to service the Commercial Marketing team and the rest of ScotRail. This will include managing the annual offline and online marketing campaign calendar plus ensuring all tasks, projects and campaigns are delivered on time and to budget, to support delivery of revenue targets.
Your main internal stakeholder will be the Commercial Marketing team, but you will also need to satisfy the marketing communication needs of the wider Commercial & Customer Experience team, plus the rest of ScotRail and Group where required. The aim is to maximise the impact of each campaign, optimising its benefit over time and feeding back to stakeholders the outcomes and next steps.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Leadership of team of 6 marcomms specialists
- Annual sales & marketing campaign calendar creation and delivery
- Offline media planning and buying strategy lead (TV, press, radio, OOH, direct mail, door drops)
- Online media planning support to Marketing Communications colleagues, who will own strategy for their respective specialist disciplines
- Being the brand guardian for Scotrail’s new brand positioning statement “Going Beyond”
- Managing performance of all ScotRail marketing agencies, including creative, design, media buying, PR, copywriting, web development and CRM - contract management and performance review
- Working closely with Communications team, who manage stakeholder PR and social media – one marketing communications plan, strategy, report and metrics
- Delivering activities and campaigns to achieve required results - metrics & ROI
The experience you’ll need is in a marketing communications or marketing services role, ideally within more than one industry. You’ll have:
- Proven track record in the formulation and delivery of effective strategic and tactical marketing campaign activity plans using all major offline (TV, radio, press, outdoor) and online media channels (SEO, PPC, display, social)
- Experience of leading a team of digital, data, design and ecommerce specialists, either in-house or with a marketing agency
- Experience of managing a network of marketing agencies, and getting them to work effectively together, to achieve successful business outcomes
- Experience of managing a busy daily/weekly marketing task workflow
- Good knowledge of best practice offline media channels (TV, radio, press, outdoor, door drops)
- Good knowledge of best practice in Digital marketing, CRM and data, Online channels and Print & design
- Experience of applying multi-variate or A/B split test techniques for business gain
- Good time management and influencing skills imperative
- Excellent written and verbal presentation
Data and CRM Manager
You will be part of the Marketing Communications team, Scotrail’s in-house digital and data hub, and build and evolve a CRM & Data centre of excellence within the business to service the Commercial Marketing team and the rest of ScotRail. This will include managing the CRM and email strategy and campaign delivery, ensuring all activities are delivered on time, to budget and achieve goals. You will be required to brief, manage and maximise the performance of Trainline, the ScotRail CRM supplier, taking counsel from Group and other Abellio TOC’s on best practice and benchmarking. You will effectively manage CRM budget, and deliver required CRM, data and email reporting, metrics and ROI.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Responsible for CRM and Data strategy, planning & delivery
- Responsible for content creation and curation for all email activity
- Create and deliver a programme of A/B Testing to establish the most effective email campaigns
- Develop and champion data analysis, ensuring regular reporting and profiling to drive ROI
- Review and improve marketing and email automation strategy, planning & delivery
- Improve email deliverance and performance against algorithmic filtering
- Oversee GDPR implementation and continued compliance, with minimum impact on business
- Using enterprise Database software, ESP solutions and CMS for campaign execution and reporting
- Customer database owner, champion and evangelist
- Help bring “customer mission” segmentation model to life for Commercial Marketing team, and demonstrate the value of personalised marketing to the business
- Scope and launch lifetime value modelling concept identifying “most valuable” ScotRail subscribers
- Gain agreement on customer loyalty definition in Scotrail, and then propose differentiation strategy for each segment, supported by delivery plan
- Responsible for CRM budget, metrics and ROI
You’ll need to have a track record of delivery in a senior CRM or email marketing role, ideally within more than one industry.
Additionally you’ll have:
- A proven track record in the formulation and delivery of successful data driven personalised marketing campaigns targeting both, consumer leisure and business, audiences, with full budget responsibility
- Experience of managing CRM or data marketing agencies to achieve successful business outcomes
- Experience of managing a busy daily/weekly email workflow through an in-house team and external suppliers
- Experience of using ESP’s (email service provider) such as Dotmailer, Neolane, Mailchimp
- Good knowledge of best practice in CRM, email, SMS, messaging and data driven marketing
- A commercially-minded approach to data analysis, turn findings into insight and action
- First class stakeholder management and communications skills
- Ability to undertake multiple projects at the same time with a highly organised and logical approach
- Excellent written and verbal presentation
Commercial Marketing Manager – Commuter & Business
To ensure a strong focus is put on meeting the needs and wants of the Commuter and Business passenger within ScotRail to improve their communication and experience across the entire rail journey. This will include reviewing all the current national and local Peak & Off-Peak products that ScotRail promotes to this audience, making recommendations for improvement or business casing launch of new products where necessary. This role will be responsible for Season ticket revenue and passenger retention, plus Smartcard penetration, revenue and retention levels to support delivery of 60% journey target by April 2019. You will also be responsible for the annual marketing campaign calendar for Commuter and Business audience and will ensure that each marketing brief generated is insight led, on strategy and measurable.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Defining and owning the end to end customer journey for Commuter and Business mission passengers travelling on ScotRail, working with the Customer Experience and Retail Operations teams to identify audience needs at each stage, so that relevant information or services can be provided to maximise satisfaction
- Sales & Marketing lead for Season ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for Anytime Peak ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for Smartcard penetration, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for First Class ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Own the annual marketing campaign calendar for those travelling by rail on a Commuter or Business mission so will ensure that each marketing brief generated is insight led, on strategy and measurable
- Lead, support and develop the Business Travel Account Manager, through creation and delivery of the Business Travel sales & marketing strategy, lead generation and activity plan
- Identify and business case new revenue growth opportunities affecting the Commuter and Business audience
- Create reporting for Commuter and Business audience where appropriate to keep Commercial colleagues and other stakeholders updated on success of initiatives
You’ll need experience in a senior product management or marketing planning role, ideally within more than one industry.
- Proven track record in the formulation and delivery of successful annual sales & marketing strategies targeting a business audience with full budget responsibility
- Proven track record in the formulation and delivery of successful tactical marketing campaigns using offline and online media channels
- Experience of influencing an internal team, or marketing agencies, to deliver successful marketing activity
- Experience of leading a Business Travel sales team in a corporate or agency environment, ideally responsible for planning, strategy, product development, lead generation, marketing communications
- Ability to adapt to change quickly, and achieve revenue growth targets in a tough trading environment
- Strong customer insight focus, with in depth product planning and development experience
- Good relationship building and networking skills
- Highly commercially astute, able to business case customer experience or product improvements where required to drive incremental revenue
- First class stakeholder management, plus influencing and communications skills
Print Production Manager
You will be part of ScotRail’s new in-house digital and data hub, designed to create a centre of marketing excellence. Your main focus will be to provide professional and cost-effective internal print management, design and production facility for use across the business. Specifically you’ll work on the generation, co-ordination and display of customer facing information - printed and online.
In this role your key accountabilities will include:
- Taking ownership of all customer facing collateral, working cross functionally across other ScotRail departments in delivery of creative and design solutions while supporting other departmental objectives
- Timetable production budget and typesetting
- Updating colour coded time tables and ensuring online publication
- Publishing of performance data
- Procurement of suitable suppliers (e.g. studios, typesetters, design agencies and printers) and managing work within agreed timescales to ensure most cost effect spend of marketing budget
- Working with Procurement to carry out bi-annual reviews of all print, design and distribution suppliers
- Being the ScotRail brand guardian - Brand Book ownership and management
Ideally – you’ll be a print production professional with demonstrable experience of the latest design and print production techniques. In addition:
- You should have excellent planning and organisation skills, the ability to work under pressure and meet extremely tight deadlines while maintaining the accuracy and quality of their work
- You’ll have first-class communication and negotiation skills with colleagues at all levels of an organisation
- You’ll ensure that corporate brand standards are maintained throughout the company with overall responsibility for ensuring that legal and ethical standards are observed
And of course, you’ll need a keen design-eye, and be experienced in planning and managing large scale design and print projects.
Defined contribution pension scheme with generous employer contributions
Company laptop & mobile phone
24 annual leave days and 12 bank holidays
Flexible working/working from home
Reduced and free rail travel (plus friends & family)
Life Assurance & Healthshield membership