ScotRail’s business change programme is informed by a simple customer insight - people like companies and brands that are trying to make their lives better, by having a clear purpose and vision and demonstrating these in their actions.
Therefore, over the next 2-3 years, ScotRail is investing £475m in improving Scotland’s rail network. This will manifest itself in new electric 385 trains, a new Inter City service, improved timetabling and upgraded station facilities.
And will be communicated to customers through a new, appropriately confident, positioning for ScotRail.
This investment will mean a better experience for existing passengers, provide new and compelling reasons for prospects to trial rail travel, and also make staff feel proud to work for the nation’s railway, a modern, progressive 21st century brand.
Alistair Buckle, Head of Sales & Marketing
To deliver ScotRail's business transformation programme, we are changing our Sales & Marketing team structure to be more “customer focussed”.
This means moving from a generalist to a specialist model, setting up centres of excellence in both “Marketing Planning, Insight and Product Management” and “Digital, Data and Ecommerce”.
We are looking for world class marketers who want to test themselves in a tough trading environment, who are not scared of uncertainty or change, and, above all, are up for the challenge of turning a traditional business into “the best railway Scotland has ever had”.
OPPORTUNITIES AT SCOTRAIL
Commercial Marketing Manager – Commuter & Business
To ensure a strong focus is put on meeting the needs and wants of the Commuter and Business passenger within ScotRail to improve their communication and experience across the entire rail journey. This will include reviewing all the current national and local Peak & Off-Peak products that ScotRail promotes to this audience, making recommendations for improvement or business casing launch of new products where necessary. This role will be responsible for Season ticket revenue and passenger retention, plus Smartcard penetration, revenue and retention levels to support delivery of 60% journey target by April 2019. You will also be responsible for the annual marketing campaign calendar for Commuter and Business audience and will ensure that each marketing brief generated is insight led, on strategy and measurable.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Defining and owning the end to end customer journey for Commuter and Business mission passengers travelling on ScotRail, working with the Customer Experience and Retail Operations teams to identify audience needs at each stage, so that relevant information or services can be provided to maximise satisfaction
- Sales & Marketing lead for Season ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for Anytime Peak ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for Smartcard penetration, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Sales & Marketing lead for First Class ticket, revenue and retention levels, so responsible for generating all acquisition and retention campaign briefs for this audience
- Own the annual marketing campaign calendar for those travelling by rail on a Commuter or Business mission so will ensure that each marketing brief generated is insight led, on strategy and measurable
- Lead, support and develop the Business Travel Account Manager, through creation and delivery of the Business Travel sales & marketing strategy, lead generation and activity plan
- Identify and business case new revenue growth opportunities affecting the Commuter and Business audience
- Create reporting for Commuter and Business audience where appropriate to keep Commercial colleagues and other stakeholders updated on success of initiatives
You’ll need experience in a senior product management or marketing planning role, ideally within more than one industry.
- Proven track record in the formulation and delivery of successful annual sales & marketing strategies targeting a business audience with full budget responsibility
- Proven track record in the formulation and delivery of successful tactical marketing campaigns using offline and online media channels
- Experience of influencing an internal team, or marketing agencies, to deliver successful marketing activity
- Experience of leading a Business Travel sales team in a corporate or agency environment, ideally responsible for planning, strategy, product development, lead generation, marketing communications
- Ability to adapt to change quickly, and achieve revenue growth targets in a tough trading environment
- Strong customer insight focus, with in depth product planning and development experience
- Good relationship building and networking skills
- Highly commercially astute, able to business case customer experience or product improvements where required to drive incremental revenue
- First class stakeholder management, plus influencing and communications skills
Print Production Manager
You will be part of ScotRail’s new in-house digital and data hub, designed to create a centre of marketing excellence. Your main focus will be to provide professional and cost-effective internal print management, design and production facility for use across the business. Specifically you’ll work on the generation, co-ordination and display of customer facing information - printed and online.
In this role your key accountabilities will include:
- Taking ownership of all customer facing collateral, working cross functionally across other ScotRail departments in delivery of creative and design solutions while supporting other departmental objectives
- Timetable production budget and typesetting
- Updating colour coded time tables and ensuring online publication
- Publishing of performance data
- Procurement of suitable suppliers (e.g. studios, typesetters, design agencies and printers) and managing work within agreed timescales to ensure most cost effect spend of marketing budget
- Working with Procurement to carry out bi-annual reviews of all print, design and distribution suppliers
- Being the ScotRail brand guardian - Brand Book ownership and management
Ideally – you’ll be a print production professional with demonstrable experience of the latest design and print production techniques. In addition:
- You should have excellent planning and organisation skills, the ability to work under pressure and meet extremely tight deadlines while maintaining the accuracy and quality of their work
- You’ll have first-class communication and negotiation skills with colleagues at all levels of an organisation
- You’ll ensure that corporate brand standards are maintained throughout the company with overall responsibility for ensuring that legal and ethical standards are observed
And of course, you’ll need a keen design-eye, and be experienced in planning and managing large scale design and print projects.
Defined contribution pension scheme with generous employer contributions
Company laptop & mobile phone
24 annual leave days and 12 bank holidays
Flexible working/working from home
Reduced and free rail travel (plus friends & family)
Life Assurance & Healthshield membership